Sunday, June 6, 2010

Day 2: the "Challenge"

At this point, I'm technically in Day 3 but I digress....

So, Shak came up with this brilliant idea a few days ago after reading something about Quentin Tarantino.  He wrote "Reservoir Dogs" in 3.5 weeks.  That was his first feature and well, we all know where he is now.  There's a whole amazing story about how he ended up getting it funded and shot that I knew about but I didn't know how long he took to write it.  To paraphrase, here's the challenge: write a short, feature, pilot, or story in 3.5 weeks.  "Ok, I'm down," I say.  There are the moments that change our lives forever; this is one of them, I can feel it.  That push, that challenge to do the most...  I'm excited and nervous.  What's going to come out in the end?  Who knows.  Even if it still needs work, having a feature in my hand is amazing!  

Currently, I'm up to page 9 of my feature script.  The first day I spent time reading through Final Draft's (my script writing program) tutorial.  I got it as a gift for my Birthday/Christmas (thanks, mom!) and was unable to upload it to my computer until this Thursday because my new computer came finally came in!  (Super long)Sidebar: My other computer was moving rather slowly (it's 5 yrs old) and because I have to use it for my job-job (what pays the bills right now) I didn't want to risk uploading another program on it and it crashing on me.  So, I finally found a MacBook Pro that was brand new and a lil cheaper than what other people were charging and bought it.  Now, when I bought it I had just spent $700 fixing my car but was expecting a check from my last job to arrive any day.  Wellllll, it still hasn't arrived AND I had to pretty much empty out my saving's account and put off paying my car note in order to pay my rent.  Yep, awesome.  lol  (It's the grind right? :) )  I don't have buyer's remorse because I needed to make that leap and buy the computer already so I could start to upload footage from my camera (the other computer because it's older won't recognize the files), start formatting scripts and just be winner for goodness sakes.  I'm knocking out all of the "reasons" one by one for why I'm not exactly where I see myself.  The camera was the first step, the computer the next and this challenge the most recent.

I just got home from taking my mentee to a Dodger vs Braves game (the Braves won 9-3! sweet!) and all I could think about on the way home was getting in front of my computer to continue to write.  I was able to do a few pages earlier before I left for the game.  I had a great impromptu brainstorming session with Sakinah, too  (thanks, sis) that had me super juiced.

What's crazy is that the story that I've been in love with/has been haunting me for the last 6 years is finally feeling like it's being pieced together.  I've jotted down notes as they've come to me about the characters over those years and a partial scene here and there as it comes but over the last couple of days they finally feel like they're coming alive to me inside my head.  I can't say what it's about just yet because that would t-t-totally ruin the surprise (lol) but suffice it to say I love it and it's going to be dope.  

So, I'm off to continue writing a bit then finally going to bed.  I've been up forever, it feels like.  We had a great run this morning in Palos Verdes and I think I might still be high off of that, or the creativity, or the Braves win... either way, still winning.


100.

Bright

No comments:

Post a Comment