Friday, January 29, 2010

Can You Be Too Happy?

Today as I walked in the office a co-worker stopped me. She said she had decided to ask me, "Why am I always so damn happy"? She said, "Shak, can you just give me a bit of what you have and sprinkle it in my coffee"? Man, if she only knew. I've been trying to find a way to scientifically reproduce happiness and SLANG it to the masses since I was about 4 years old. I've been ridiculed for being "too damn happy" since a child. “You’re too nice” I still hear all the time. “You have to learn how to deal with the REAL WORLD”. Recently, a sweet guy I was dating knocked on my door while I was singing in the shower. I can't remember what I was getting ready for at the time but we weren’t in a rush. But he started knocking on the door angrily, "Shak, what are you singing about, why are you always so damn happy?” REALLY????? No, I mean REALLY????? Isn't that an oxy-moron, can you really get angry at someone for being too damn happy?



That’s when it started to sink in I’m not from this planet. No it’s the only logical explanation. Maybe, people are right. I must not be a part of “THE REAL WORLD”. I can't help but to find the joy in the GRIND. My cup has always been full not half full but really full. And as a result, folks from far and wide have taken it upon themselves to try to drag me down to their level of misery or rather take me back into “THE REAL WORLD”. But I don’t live there. I’ve tried being miserable and depressed like most other people. But the truth is I’m just no good at it. I’ve even tried being really mean and totally inconsiderate of other people, and it ended up hurting me more than the folks I was trying to intentionally hurt. Remember, what goes towards comes back towards. I’m happy because I give off happiness. My other co-worker said, "Shak you're like a Disney princess, singing while you work for 7 dwarfs like Snow White". NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! That might be taking it a bit too far. A Disney Princess?


Perhaps the real truth is no one sees the amount of effort and sweat I put into taming my inner beast. We have to fight every day the good fight to be NICE people. The reason it’s such a fight and uphill battle is that we live in a world that doesn’t see the value in treating each other nicely. Sure there are several books that preach it’s the RIGHT way to live (the bible, the Koran, the Torah…Aesop’s Fables). But who reads and believes those books right? I mean it’s one thing to quote a parable or two, but no one is crazy to live that way right?


"The honey bees that fetch the nectar from the flower to the comb
Never tire of ever buzzing to and fro.
Because they take a little nip, from ev`ry flower that they sip.
And hence, they find their task is not a grind.


For a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.
Medicine go dow-wown, medicine go down.
Just a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down
In the most delightful way."
---Mary Poppins




Shak aka The “happy” alien
100.

No comments:

Post a Comment