"Out beyond the ideas of right doing and wrong doing there is a field and I will meet you there." - Rumi
There's a lot of talk about who should and shouldn't be revered. Amber Rose, for instance, received a lot of flack and probably still does about who she is/was. She's a stripper "turned" model with tatoos, short hair, shapely (she's got curves like real women do and some wish they had)...what is SHE doing being a model and no less in ELLE?! The fact is, she is a force to be reckoned with because she has tenacity and the will and the courage to BE herself no matter what people think. The same with Ye, you know the outspoken guy with so much to say, who is a "rapper" who made an album of singing songs, who wears sweaters, polos, leather, all white suits...ummm whatever he so chooses and who designs stuff for Louis Vuitton. And there's Jay, the guy from Marcy who used to sell drugs, who grew up in the projects, who was accused of stabbing a guy in a club...who owns his own clothing label, is partnered with LiveNation, was the President of Def Jam, who is part owner of the Nets.... There's Oprah, who came from Mississppi, who built up her own brand including and not limited to a satellite radio station, television networks, a girls school in Africa, a magazine and is one of the most trusted names in, I would be so bold as to say, at least 85% of households in the US, not to mention abroad. All of the aforementioned accolades are not the summation of the above's accomplishments but just a few. These are people whose lives could have been ordinary or super crappy. These are people who could have gone down a totally different path but (and that's a big BUT) they didn't.
"We accept the cards life gave us. But we decide how to play." - Paulo Coelho via Twitter
They each made a decision to make their tomorrows bigger than their yesterdays. What will you do with today?
"Do, every day, ALL that can be done that day." - S.O.G.R.
I've taken the above statement very seriously. The adage of "why put off until tomorrow what you can do today", is so real. That's the difference between those who want to become and those who are. It's in the little things that I accomplish that become bigger things. How can I expect to be more in the here and now unless I am more right now. Unless I fill the space that I have with maximizing my life and my potential every moment of everyday how will I really succeed? It does not mean that I don't have fun; I went to a hockey game today. I also took a 6 hour mentoring training class early this morning and met with a screenwriter right after, to get some mentoring of my own. I still have a lot of growth ahead of me but as long as I see more successes in my days to come then my life as a whole is a success and I will be the embodiment of more. If I do things half way then I will only be at 50%. Here's to being 100 all the time.
100.
Bright
Great post kid. At first I'm not going to lie, I'm like Amber Rose in the same thread as Jay, Ye and Oprah...hmmm. But then I thought back to my post with Biggie and Soulja Boy. Truth is she's a bonifide Hustla, period. Although, I don't think that folks should be praised and celebrated just for the way they look...that's my opinion.
ReplyDeleteI know that plenty of folks think differently. I mean look at Paris Hilton, Kim K. and plenty of others, also bonafide hustlas. So it is what it is. I just think that rather than hating on others folks should spend the majority of their time going after their own ambitions.
That way, if you have a problem with a particular artistic representation (album, movie, painting, song, dance); you create YOUR OWN. Be your own solution, F*** the problem. Sorry Bright for the vulgarness but you know how I feel about whiney artists. They're always complaining about someone else's success.
Shak
100.
lol the "vulgarness" is cool, pal. do you know who you're talking to? hahahaha no, i feel you. ppl who dohn't have enough focus "sidetrack" themselves into thinking about the successes or failures of others and don't do anything of their own. what do you call them? oh yeah, "sideline critics." lol get in the game, son! then, holla at me. lol
ReplyDeletemy point with this one is there are ideas/ideals around who is deserving of success. to he who grinds the hardest go all the spoils or something to that effect. lol i don't think that Amber Rose has given as much globally as any of the others i mentioned nor do i really dig her style, but art is subjective. that's not the issue, did she come up from where she was like all of the others? Yep. Anyone can. Anyone.